The change in seasons can often leave us wondering what to wear. Luckily, if there’s a Goodwill – there’s a way.
- Layer up. Many spring mornings are chilly, but the afternoons can really heat up. Adding layers to your outfit not only adds a great accessory, but also functionality in this season of inconsistent temperatures. See what variety of cardigans, vests and jackets are waiting for you at your local Goodwill.
- Bright colors and prints. Feeling like you don’t have enough spring colors or prints in your closet? No worries. Goodwill has ample colors and a variety of prints to choose from. Mix and match some of your favorite colors with some of your favorite prints for multiple spring looks.
- Statement pieces. A pair of flower patterned heels or bold colored jewelry can add the perfect pop to your outfit. Statement pieces are meant to add a little fun to your outfit, so why not have fun thrifting for them at your local Goodwill?
John Maxwell once said, “You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.” Each year 45-percent of Americans set resolutions for the new year. Of this 45-percent, only 8-percent are successful in achieving their resolution. To make 2017 your most successful one yet, consider these simple and achievable workplace resolutions to add to your routine, along with tips for maintaining them.
1. Listen and communicate effectively. Being an effective communicator begins with listening. This year, try to not leave people waiting for answers. Keep your coworkers updated, thank them if they’ve helped you and don’t be afraid to ask questions when needed.
2. Stretch yourself to grow. Start with asking yourself, “How can I go above and beyond?” Stepping out of your work comfort zone will allow you to expand your knowledge, as well as your experience.
3. Get fit. After a season full of cookies and holiday parties, it’s no surprise that getting fit is one of the most common resolutions. Getting fit is not only beneficial for your health, it is also helpful in creating success in the workplace. Adding simple activities to your routine, such as going for a 20-minute walk, will increase your likelihood of living a healthy lifestyle and sticking to this resolution. Don’t forget, a healthy body creates a healthy mind.
4. Maintain a healthy work-life balance. With technology allowing workers to stay in constant communication with work, this resolution may seem almost impossible. But all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Remember to reward your hard work with some well-deserved play. Drawing clear lines and sticking to them may even help you stay sharper while on the job and help you resolve workplace issues more efficiently.
Wintry weather is a great excuse to catch up on some shopping! To stay up on the latest trends and brace for cooler climates while going easy on your wallet, consider visiting a Goodwill near you for some second-hand treasures. Here are a few tips to make your winter thrifting a breeze:
- Layer up and accessorize. Winter is the perfect season to bundle up in layers and accessories. Scarves, hats and cardigans all add to your winter look while keeping you warm. For extra chilly days you may even want to throw in mittens and earmuffs. Look for colors and patterns you love to find the right balance of comfort and style.
- Be on the lookout for daily deals and specials. Of course this tip doesn’t strictly apply to winter. As a thrifter, being aware of daily deals is important because it’s a smart way to save even more while thrifting. Stay up to date with the Color of the Week deals (the color changes every Sunday), senior discount day on Tuesdays and Thank You Thursdays for veterans, firefighters, police and EMS workers.
- Find your winter coat, without spending a fortune. With a wide variety of fabrics to choose from, search for coats that will keep you warmest this winter! Our stores are regularly stocked with a variety of winter coats. Whether you prefer wool, fleece, down, leather or cotton, there’s a good chance your local Goodwill has exactly what you’re looking for. Winter coats don’t have to cost a fortune, especially if you know you’ll only wear it four months out of the year.
- Don’t limit your search to sizing! Winter is a season where oversized sweaters can be fashionable, and of course, cozy. Check out sections with the colors you’re looking for and remember to not be scared to buy a size or two bigger!
- Jeans. Jeans. Jeans. Can one ever have too many pairs of jeans? Dark colored jeans, light colored jeans, skinny jeans, flare jeans, jeans with holes or even high waist jeans. Shopping for jeans can be overwhelming and exhausting, but save the stress and your money because there’s a pair for everyone at Goodwill.
For more thrifting tips and inspiration visit our Pinterest page at https://www.pinterest.com/goodwillng/. Find a Goodwill store near you at www.goodwillng.org/locations.
Goodwill of North Georgia got a shout out from the AJC’s Access Atlanta section in “5 hacks for thrifting Atlanta’s consignment racks” by Sarah Buehrle. There are some great tips in the article, and we are honored to have made the cut!
An additional thrifting tip for our stores includes shopping the discount days. Every Tuesday is Senior Discount Day and we have Thank You Thursdays for service workers, including military personnel, firefighters, police officers and emergency medical services employees. Of course our Color of the Week rotation starts over every Sunday and is available to all shoppers.
Do you have any thrifting tips of your own? Share them in the comments section below! As always, happy hunting to all…